Called To Serve

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Arrived in Oregon


Hi Family!
Everything sounds great at home!

I know President Young called you on Wednesday night. We stayed at the mission home that night and headed to our area the next morning. We arrived to Florence Thursday afternoon and went right to work. Sister missionaries haven't been in Florence on the coast for over 8 years. So the members in the ward, especially the single sisters were so excited, because they can have us for dinner now.  Alot has happened in the past 4 days. My trainer, Sister Barton has been out for over a year. She hasn't been in this area, so we are both new but I'm sooo glad she knows what she is doing. Today on our P day we finally got to clean our apartment and unpack! The elders left it not the way we would have liked. So we have spent all day cleaning. 

It has been overwhelming trying to learn everything, and getting to know the area and the people. We have talked with alot of less actives/recent converts and our goal is to build up the ward and make it stronger and really have the members be a part of it. The people in the ward are great and have been so nice to us. Our goal for this area is to have 3 souls be baptized. I know we can do it and the Lord is preparing those 3 souls.

As you know there are 58 new missions and one of those is in Oregon. It is the Salem Mission. So in about 4 months our mission is going to be split. 5 areas from the Eugene mission and 3 from Portland, will make the Salem mission. It is a bitter sweet time for President and Sister Young because some of the missionaries in Eugene will be serving in Salem. President wants this to be the 4 months we never forget and wants all of us to work our hardest. It will be the 4 months of miracles. 

 It's crazy I am already here and that I'm a 'real' missionary! It hasn't hit me yet that I am serving a mission! All of it has gone by so fast! I loved the MTC! It was awesome and I met so many great people there and learned alot! It's weird actually being in Oregon. It's different than Utah in many ways. The area we are in is gorgeous! There are so many trees and so green, sand dunes, rivers and the ocean! So much water! The weather has been pretty nice so far! Last two days have been sunny. It gets a little chilly because of the wind but so far its been pretty nice. Not too much rain yet :)

The mission is hard. I'm not gonna lie the past 4 days has been hard for me to adjust. I have been missing home. I have felt very out of place and not myself I guess.I have just felt overwhelmed. I have realized that this isn't my mission. I received my mission call and was called to serve here but it's the Lord's mission. Right now I am just trying to stay positive and relying on Heavenly Father. I just gotta work, work and work. This is just a very small portion of my life and I don't want to waste the Lord's time. I know things will get better once I get things down and the flow of things. Satan is real and he does everything he can to distract the work. He definitly knows my weaknesses. I'm so grateful I have my companion to help me and my Heavenly Father. Thank you for everything and all the love and support! This week I want you to pray as a family and come up with a name that you could invite to church this month. I love you all so much!!! xoxo
Love, Sister Hancock

No comments:

Post a Comment